PICNIC ‘06: Celebrating Creative Genius
This gathering was the official launch of the annual PICNIC Festival! It was also a chance to showcase Amsterdam as a creative industry playground and cross media testbed in a laidback and fun setting which reflects the nature of the city.
It was an experience: people met other creatives, artists, researchers and professionals and were inspired in a fresh and dynamic international setting.
PICNIC ’06 included a conference, specialty workshops and events organized by cultural institutions, industry associations, government and business, as well as the PICNIC at Night public program for Amsterdam residents.
- Craig Newmark, Founder of Craigslist (United States)
- John de Mol, Co-founder of Endemol and Founder of Talpa (the Netherlands)
- Simon Guild, President and CE at MTV Networks Europe (United Kingdom)
- Michael B. Johnson, Group Lead, Pixar Animation Studios (United States)
- Philip Rosedale, Founder of Second Life (United States)
- Linda Stone, writer, speaker, consultant, former Microsoft executive (United States)
- Keynote presentation: The Creative Process at Pixar Animation Studios
- My Second Life: an in-depth demo of the Second Life platform by its founder
- Keynote presentation: Multi-tasking and continuous partial attention
- Live multimedia performance by Peter Greenaway, ‘real time image conductor’ and the alternative movie director of movies such as “The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover”
- Machinima Salon: event exploring the cross over between gaming, visual art and filmmaking
- PICNIC at Night: live performances, music, VJs, fashion, presentations, art installations and a news lounge
PICNIC in Numbers
- 5000 registered delegates for conference, specialty workshops, presentations and PICNIC at Night
- 70 conference speakers from Europe, North America and Asia
- 15 government and corporate sponsors
- 29 specialty workshops and presentations organised by government, business, Dutch and international industry associations and cultural organizations
- active marketing by 45 Dutch and international industry associations and cultural organizations
- promotion by 18 Dutch and international media partners