Connecting UK and NL Digital Start Ups
21-22 February 2012, Amsterdam
PICNIC is delighted to support a unique opportunity for some of the hottest Dutch and British digital startups to meet and network in Amsterdam.
Amsterdam is emerging as one of the main creative digital centres in Europe, identified by Wired as one of the top-10 tech start up cities and home to companies such as Layar and Booking.com.
The Creative Industries KTN is partnering with PICNIC, Waag Society, Syntens and the UK Science & Innovation Network in order to deliver a unique event in Amsterdam exploring the creative landscape and making active business connections between the UK and Netherlands.
The event will mark the first in a series of collaborations between CIKTN, Waag Society, Syntens and PICNIC throughout the year and will build on political contacts between the UK and Netherlands to drive economic connections, and which saw the Dutch Prime Minister visit London and Manchester with a group of digital businesses late last year.
Over the course of two days (the mornings of the 21st and 22nd), attendees will hear case study presentations from high profile digital entrepreneurs and gain insight on two dynamic European marketplaces. Attendees will also participate in panel discussions contrasting the experiences of UK and Dutch digital start ups and explore the landscape of European capital finance. On the evening of the 21st, there will be a dinner hosted by the British Embassy with a keynote presentation on future trends.
Most importantly, over the two days there will be a chance to network with like-minded digital businesses and initiate opportunities for commercial collaboration
Who should attend
The event will focus on start up media businesses with a concentration on digital technologies – whether communications, applications or services and ranging from social media to the distribution of digital content to software as a service.
Businesses will benefit from:
- An introduction to the vibrant Dutch media marketplace (and wider European landscape), both through presentations and specifically commissioned research
- An introduction to the Dutch finance network in order to understand current models and opportunities
- An opportunity to generate business potential through networking with Dutch start ups and more established businesses.
Tuesday February 21
- 12:30 - Lunch in Café “In the Waag”
- 14:00 - Welcome
- 14:15 - Short overview of the Creative Industries in the United Kingdom and the Netherlands
- 14:45 - From Start Up to Successful entrepreneur by Jeff Coghlan, CEO and founder, Matmi
- 15:30 - Coffee break
- 15:45 - EU Access to Finance Program – Issues and Opportunities by Jenny Tooth, Director and co-founder, Angel Capital Goup
- 16:15 - Interview with Boris Veldhuijzen van Zanten, Serial Internet entrepreneur, blogger, speaker and founder of the NextWeb.
- 16:45 - One-to-one meetings
- 18:30 - Diner at Geisha Restaurant with Michiel Veldhuizen, Head of UK Trade and Investment Netherlands
Wednesday February 22
- 09:00 - Doors open
- 09:30 - Interview with Raimo van der Klein, CEO and co-founder, Layar
- 10:15 - Future View – What is next, with Raimo van der Klein, CEO and co-founder, Layar & Guido van Nispen, Managing Director, V-Ventures
- 11:00 - Coffee Break
- 11:15 - One-to-one meetings
- 12:30 - Wrap up
Online registration is closed.